Forum

Propagation and Cycle 25 ??

• G0CBO
  • G0CBO's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #778 by G0CBO
Propagation and Cycle 25 ?? was created by G0CBO
Hello All

Radio conditions are still rubbish, for the average station it is so frustrating. Every time I turn radios on I have to double check to see if antennas are still connected. Oh for the days when you could get CW/SSB contacts on 20 and 40 metres. What has happened? surely not everyone has gone to FT8. With all these experts telling us that cycle 25 has started has any station with simple antennas noticed any difference?
Look forward to your comments.

Rodney G0CBO

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #779 by G0KYA
Replied by G0KYA on topic Propagation and Cycle 25 ??
Yes, solar cycle 25 has started, but it is still early days. The SFI has struggled to get over 80-90 recently. We really need it to be well over 100 for decent openings. Also the time of year doesn't help - we can expect better condtions as we head towards mid-late September. I do think that a lot of people have migrated to FT8. Whether they will come back to other modes is debateable. I think we have probably seen the best of CW and SSB more's the pity - unless there's a contest.on.

More
1 month 2 weeks ago #780 by g8oo
Replied by g8oo on topic Propagation and Cycle 25 ??
Hi Rod & Steve

I can confirm that chasing DX on CW and SSB present is challenging and like a lot of other active stations during the lockdown I have migrated to the FT and all data modes to get my DXCC count up for 2021.

I must report that I am surprised at the big Stns from around the world that I come across calling CQ on FT and all data modes.

Steve I do not share your fears that these stns may not return as after a month or two you can get very bored of FT8 but I must also report that using the FT modes is not as easy as it seems and there is a knack in working DX on these modes including keeping a close eye on the DX reflectors and using all of the dx production tools.

I often go on totally dead bands and call CQ using FT8 and within 10mins the band quickly starts to fill up with stations.

As an example for the last 2 nights I have operated on 60m using an FT991a 100w and L shaped wire antenna on a 7m scaffold pole and have worked some great DX and what surprised me is that on two occasions and as soon as I had stopped operating 2 DX stations (V31AE and VK2USA) email me asking for confirmation of a QSO and supplying me with a full report.

But unfortunately I had to reply that nether were in my log.

Here’s looking to when the Solar and SFI index clime to over 100 Hi.

Rods if you are in the area pse call in and look at the new setups here.

• G0CBO
  • G0CBO's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 month 2 weeks ago #781 by G0CBO
Replied by G0CBO on topic Propagation and Cycle 25 ??
Thank you both for your comments. Alan yes you are right FT8 seems such boring mode but at present as we know the only way to get contacts. I also get e mails asking for confirmation for FT8 contacts and also lots of confirmations on QRZ.com.
Have at times worked some great dx that would not have been possible to on the key.
Maybe Steve also has a point in saying things may never return on SSB/CW unless contest activity.
Will persevere with cw as have spent a few years to reach a reasonable standard and I still practice each day to try and maintain but its difficult without on air QSOs
Best Wishes
Rodney G0CBO

Time to create page: 0.110 seconds