Forum

Power Levels FT8

• G0CBO
  • G0CBO's Avatar Topic Author
More
8 months 3 weeks ago #741 by G0CBO
Power Levels FT8 was created by G0CBO
As new to this mode be interesting to hear what power levels other stations are using for FT8. There seems to be conflicting opinions on various forums on the internet.

I have found that on 30 and 40 mtrs I can get away with about 15 watts and as I go up in frequency on other bands about 30/40 watts is needed to achieve contacts.

On 144/430 mhz about 30 watts seems to work

I am amazed at some of the reports I see on PSK reporter and over the weeks have worked some good distances on these power levels.

My antenna for HF is a GP80 multiband with an ATU mounted at ground level with radials and for VHF a white stick co lin up about 18 feet, 430 mhz a 7 ele ZL type yagi at about 12 feet up.

Any comments on what you are all using as regards power and antennas.

Stay Safe

Rodney G0CBO

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
8 months 3 weeks ago #742 by g8oo
Replied by g8oo on topic Power Levels FT8
Hi Rod G0CBO

I do not know if this will answer you enquiry but here goes.

Last weekend Bob g6pws visited my QTH to do some testing.

Bob returned to Amateur Radio circa 18 months ago and generally only works persons he knows.

In the past Bob was a very fast and competent contest operator and also well known for being Verulam ARC and Mimram CG erection team captain so he knows his way around contest and antenna setups.

Bob has been using a temporary vertical antenna at 7m agl at his QTH but wanted to try out his radio setup on my antennas before changing his antenna systems.

Bob started by used my loft long wires but did not like this setup so he changed to my main antenna system with rotator to see what difference it made.

He operated using WSJT-X with N1MM+ and his Radio is a FT991A with maximum 100w using the radios internal ATU on the long wires.

Bob logs records that he started on Saturday at 20:42z with a blank log on FT8 in search and pounce mode then he tried FT4 and on Sunday he changed to run mode closing down at circa 23:11z.

During the two days of casual operating we spent a lot of time discussing the different setups he could adopt and also break for food and the XYL’s.

Bob casually logged 158 Qso’s in 114 Countries spread actor the HF bands, Bob did not use any VHF bands.
Bob also used PSK Reporter to find out where the DX stations were located. NOTE you have to wait circa 3 mins when changing bands for the PSK reported to catch up.

Below are Bob and my PSK Reporter settings.

On = All Bands
Over the last = 15Minutes
Using = FT8 or FT4
Callsign = G6PWS/P
Received By = Rcvd by
Show = Countries

So I hope this goes some way to answer your enquiry.

De AlanH g8oo

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds