Forum

N.A.R.C. Possible VHF 144/432 mhz Contest Group

• G0CBO
  • G0CBO's Avatar Topic Author
More
1 year 11 months ago - 1 year 11 months ago #378 by G0CBO
I am trying to find club members who may be interested in the formation of a VHF contest group. This could be 144/432mhz or just 2mtrs. After a recent meeting of the contest chat at the club ,several members have already expressed an interest.

We are very keen to do this and would like to welcome new licensees and new club members to join us along with any others who may be interested.

This would be a group effort as a team and possibly over a weekend at a portable location, suggestions so far Barford to coincide with the rally, a coastal location, or top of a high hill ha ha.

Full details of VHF contests can be found on the R.S.G.B. website, operating. radio sport, VHF contest calender.

This would be great opportunity for us all to learn a bit more about working conditions on VHF such as beam antennas, propagation, setting up a station in the field, QRA locators and operating procedures and also to prove that VHF is full of DX opportunities with a small station and the right conditions. Also I understand there is some equipment and a unique callsign we can use.

To give an idea over the Xmas period in the 144mhz contest , over two afternoons I worked 25 stations on SSB with just 8 watts and a small 5 ele beam fixed antenna. Including GW GM and stations in the midlands and up north.

So please anyone interested get in touch either leave a message on here ,or call on GB3NB or e mail me via my homepage on QRZ.com.

All abilities are warmly welcome and we can all learn together.

Rodney Hoffman G0CBO
Last edit: 1 year 11 months ago by G0CBO. Reason: more contact details

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
1 year 11 months ago #381 by g8oo
Hi Rod

I will give whatever help you required in setting up the station and I would love to advise or second operator any new SSB operators to contesting.

I would suggest you use N1MM+ for logging and rig control.

Alan Holdsworth g8oo
Millfield
The Green
Brisley
Dereham
NR20 5LL

www.g8oo.com
Email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Home Tel/Ans - 01362 667049
My UK Mobile - 07980 314279
Mobile only in use when I am in the car

• G0CBO
More
1 year 10 months ago #387 by G0CBO
Sport radio - want something a little different?

VHF 144mhz Contest Group

I am still trying to gain some support for the formation of a contest group to have a go at a 144 mhz contest.

Particularly looking for newer license holders, new members and people who are new to contesting.
The idea being we set up a small VHF 144 mhz station portable, get some operators and have some fun along with us all learning about propagation, logging, QRA locators, serial nos etc

There are three RSGB Contests which we could enter 20th/21st May, 5th/6th August or 2nd/3rd Sept - we can discuss when we meet.
We have the full support of the Club committee and have been offered full use of various bits and pieces of club equipment and a possible location.
Several more experienced club members have offered their support and this would be a good introduction to contesting VHF style. The idea being not really to win but just to get a taste.
We intend to have a planning meeting within next few weeks so if anyone would like to join us please get in touch.
Catch me on a club night, call for me on GB3NB or E Mail me This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Rodney Hoffman G0CBO

• G0CBO
More
1 year 10 months ago - 1 year 10 months ago #389 by G0CBO
Chatting with Rex G0AAR at the club last evening he gave me details of a web site he had found which gives a good insight into VHF contests www.essexham.co.uk/2m-ssb-contests . Well worth a read for anyone who is new to VHF contests and in general the site is very good and contains countless bits of useful information for all interests. Well worth a look.
Last edit: 1 year 10 months ago by G0CBO.

More
1 year 9 months ago #396 by M0SYW
Well as you know Rodney I gave the FM contest a go this month (Feb) and am currently on the scout for the next location to be M0SYW/P once again, just doing some running around to see where I can setup :) so I should hopefully be on the air again for the next FM contest night.

• G0CBO
More
1 year 9 months ago #397 by G0CBO
As discussed at last nights contest meeting, All systems go for the 144mhz contest May 20th/May21st this will take place from 14.00 to 14.00 across 24 hours. Contest exchange will be report, serial number, QRA locator and Postcode. We will be using the club contest site which is located at Great Ellingham near Attleborough.

As this will be the first one for VHF would really like to get some more interested parties. Depending on what interest we can get , this will determine future VHF/UHF contests. All help would be great either to take part as operator, help with setting station up and dismantling or both, even making the tea lol All are most welcome to come and visit and have a go no matter what ability, this also an opportunity for some social interaction. So if you can help in anyway get in touch via my E Mail (This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.) catch me at the club, I am there most weeks or give me a call on GB3NB, I monitor most time I am at home.

Time to create page: 0.669 seconds